another nice conversion with 2 layouts (GP + V8)
The real track :
The construction of the Bahrain circuit was a national objective for Bahrain, initiated by the Crown Prince, Shaikh Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa. The Crown Prince is the Honorary President of the Bahrain Motor Federation. TRL was asked to build the circuit, headed by Patrick Brogan.
Race organizers were worried that the circuit would not be complete in time for the 2004 Grand Prix and attempted to cancel the event, however Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone refused this request. In the end, the circuit was not quite fully complete, but was good enough for the grand prix to go ahead.
The circuit posed a unique problem. Positioned in the middle of a desert, there were worries that sand would blow onto the circuit and disrupt the race. However, organizers were able to keep the sand off the track by spraying an adhesive on the sand around the track.
The circuit was designed by German architect Hermann Tilke, the same architect who designed the Sepang circuit in Malaysia. The circuit cost approximately US $150 million to construct. It has six separate tracks, including a test oval and a drag strip. In 2007 the circuit became the first Grand Prix circuit to be awarded the distinguished FIA Institute Centre of Excellence award, given for excellent safety, race marshal, and medical facilities; and for the high standards of technology required to maintain these.
The virtual track:
This track was build for rFactor from scratch by ‘Cars & Tracks Development Project’ (CTDP). You can find more info on their website: http://www.ctdp.net/
Their version has been available in GTL for some time, and recently permission was granted to bring it to GTR2. CTDP are working on a new version of this track for rFactor, but since the Bahrain GP is due next weekend, I thought it would be nice to release a good version of the track right now. I called it 2005, so it won’t conflict with version v2 when it finally comes to GTR2.
Done by me:
– corrected position, Northdirection and racelaps in gdb
– Added short layout (used for Australian V8)
– AIW: fixed pacecar, racing groove and wet paths
– added some spec maps
– cut up some objects for better FPS.
– added rain reflection
Update v1.2 :
– fixed quicksand at turn 10
– object editing for better FPS
– TRK file editing for better FPS
– new cams by Luigi
– some new textures
– reduced the bumps before last corner
– deleted double polygons (the whole road was double)
– redone rain reflection (was also double because of double road)
– CTDP for the original track and permission for GTR2 release
– PrinzTT for his .BIK video
– derDumeklemmer for conversion to GTL (including animarshalls, pitlights, AIW work… etc)
– Com8 for his V8 addition
– BlackHawk and FrankBB for the GTR2 LODS