GTL to GTR2 Conversion by N2LO and Bill Guillaume
Please refer to the “ReadMe Snetterton 1964 GTL.txt” in the “snett1964” track folder for more information on this track and its original origin for GPL made from scratch by the GPLEA.
Thanks to Phil and Nils and the boys(men!) at the GPLEA for making this track originally and for allowing us to convert it for GTL, rFactor and GTR2 . Thanks to N2LO for the great GTR2 conversion of our Snetterton Heath!
Track Infos from Wikipedia :
Snetterton Circuit is a motor racing course in Norfolk, England, originally opened in 1953. Owned by Jonathan Palmer‘s MotorSport Vision organisation, it is situated on the A11 road 12 miles (19 km) north-east of the town of Thetford and 19 miles (31 km) south-west of the city of Norwich. The circuit is named after the nearby village of Snetterton to the north-west of the circuit, although much of the circuit lies in the adjoining civil parish of Quidenham.
The original Snetterton Circuit (shown in green) was laid out on the runways and taxiways of the former RAF Snetterton Heath air base (in light brown).
The circuit hosts races from series including the British Touring Car Championship, British Formula Three Championship and British Superbike Championship. From 1980 to 1994, the track hosted the UK’s first 24-hour race, the Willhire 24 Hour. From 2003 to 2013 the Citroen 2CV 24 Hour Race was held at Snetterton on the 200 Circuit.
Snetterton was originally an RAF airfield, RAF Snetterton Heath, later used by the United States Army Air Force. The airfield opened in May 1943 and closed in November 1948.
After its use as a USAF base, Snetterton was first used for motorcycle racing in 1953, organised by the Snetterton Combine, an association of clubs in Norfolk and Suffolk.
The track was used by both Team Lotus (Formula One) and Norfolk Racing Co (Le Mans) to test their racing cars. In the 1960s and early 1970s the circuit was 2.7 miles in length. Sear corner was 80 m further from Riches corner and led onto the “Norwich Straight” clearly visible in satellite maps and currently used by a Sunday market. The straight ended in a hairpin bend leading to Home Straight which joined the existing track at the Esses but is now a main access road for the circuit. Russell bend was added in the 1960s and named after Jim Russell who ran a racing drivers school at the circuit. Initially added to improve safety by slowing vehicles as they approached the pits, Russell bend was the scene of many accidents and was later altered to its present configuration.
Thing that were fixed or made to work in GTR2 by N2LO :
– I adjusted the draw distance on most TSO
– Added Rain Line for AI to follow
– Added Rain reflections
– redid garage AI line to not intefere with pitting
– fixed start flagger (adjusted timing correctly)
– fixed pit in and pit out guys as they were named incorrectly and didn’t work properly.
– Adjusted some waypoint corridors
– Used Zarker99 rain fog settings – please set draw distance to atleast far or your graphics will be all greyed out due to fog in the rain.
– Enabled rolling starts but standing starts are recommended due to the 3 X 2 X 3 grid formation.
– Enabled rolling start time trials.
– Adjusted the Xsectors and relocated xpitin and xpitout. I moved xpitin because it was to easy to miss it and enter pits and not get service, and I moved xpitout because if you over shot your pit by just a little, you would trigger pitout and also not get service. I widened Xfinish, xsector1 and xsector2 so it would not be possible to get around them without triggering them.
– Added low level night lighting (Think of it as moon lighting)
I also applied the xsector and start, pit flaggers changes to the GTL version also.
Thanks to Dave Noonan for his great program 3DSimED wich makes all these conversions possible.
Enjoy this conversion in GTR2 and keep that rain falling!! It is the UK!!
Unzip the file to a temporary folder. Then copy and paste the “snett1964” folder in your GTR2/Locations folder.
Start the sim and go for a spin….in the rain!
This track is not by Simbin/Tentacle/Blimey and is used by you at your own risk. I cannot be responsible if it messes up your computer or you GTR2 install. Always backup first. If you need to get in touch with me you will find me at RSC or The Pits or No Grip.
Enjoy and stay out of the haybales at the hairpin!