created by 10thMountains
The mod Hudson’s HD Skies for GTR2 is great no doubt, but did you notice that every region had the same sky set, pretty unrealistic i thought. If you drive in northern regions there are more clouds in the sky, not always but compared to races in southern regions, yeah.
So why not combine some of Hudson’s HD skies with the great HD sky compilation 6e66o released years ago for rFactor and release the package for GTR2.
– every region (central, north, south) has now unique HD skies
– compatible with every track released for GTR2 (shared and shared_raceon folders inside)
full credits to Hudson, 6e66o and KesslerB for their great work to make simracing skies look so much better…
Installation and FAQ:
How does *Reworked HD Skies* work?
GTR2 has three different files which are responsible for the skyboxes/skies on tracks, located in GTR2\GameData\Locations\shared folder. The specific files are:
– Skies_Central, Skies_North, Skies_South
they contain all skies to simulate a fluent 24 hour cycle around each GTR2 track of all three regions available. Included are sky textures for sunset, daytime, sundown, night and rain. sunset, daytime and sundown have each 4 variations of skies (36 all in all). After loading a track at a specific time of day, GTR2 “normally” choose 1 of 4 skies to fit with the daytime and region the track is located in. So it’s random but does not work everytime.
Which files are included in *Reworked HD Skies*?
– Skies_Central, Skies_North, Skies_South (GTR2 tracks)
– Race_Skies_Central, Race_Skies_North, Race_Skies_South (converted RACE 07/STCC tracks)
– skies_central, skies_north, skies_south (converted RACE ON/STCC tracks)
How to install the *Reworked HD Skies*?
– after you have downloaded the 193 MB large file, extract it
– you will find a LOCATIONS folder inside
– in it you will get two folders named SHARED and SHARED_RACEON
– the SHARED_RACEON folder is just needed if you have converted Race On tracks (Laguna Seca, Road America, Imola aso.) in your GTR2 install
– if so, copy both folders and insert them in your LOCATIONS folder located at GTR2\GameData\Locations\
– if not, the SHARED folder should be enough
– now you will be asked if you want to overwrite certain folders and files, answer with yes
!! IF YOU’RE NOT SURE YOU WANT TO KEEP THIS MOD IN YOUR GTR2 INSTALL, MAKE A BACKUP OF BOTH MENTIONED SHARED FOLDERS FIRST !!
– after you have overwritten all the files, *Reworked HD Skies* is succesfully installed
– have fun and enjoy your driving